On June 26th, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) ruled to uphold the Administration’s travel ban from Muslim majority countries. The past several months of anti-immigrant rhetoric emboldens microaggressions, discrimination, sexual violence, and hate crime against Latinx and Muslim communities. It invigorates white supremacist ideals and endangers all Communities of Color.
We are deeply disappointed, angry, frustrated, and saddened by the court decision.
Our history is rife with laws and policies that institutionalized racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism. Last Tuesday is another day we will look back on with regret and shame. When placed in this historical context we know that just because something is found legal, does not make it ethical or just. Because something is found to be within the scope of an office, does not make a policy any less xenophobic and racist.
We must continue to strive toward and contribute to creating a cultural shift. Our individual analysis, and values can help influence those with whom we are in relationship, the companies to whom we are consumers, and the infrastructure of our societal institutions. Ending our culture of violence takes all of us and we have a lot of work ahead.
Here are some ways to take action:
- Call Your Senators and Representative
- Sample Script: "I’m your constituent from [City, State, Zip Code], and I urge you to OPPOSE the Muslim ban and do everything in your power to see the administration rescind the Muslim ban executive order. I stand opposed to any Muslim or refugee ban and any other attempt to block refugees and immigrants from entering this country based on where they come from or what faith they practice. The Muslim ban does not represent the welcoming communities across the United States. My community welcomes our immigrant, refugee, and Muslim neighbors, and I call on you to do the same."
- You can also share this message on social media with your network and your Senators / Representatives:
- Today's ruling is another shameful mark on our history. We cannot accept living in a country that willingly separates families and calls it justice. #NoMuslimBanEver #FamiliesBelongTogether
- Families shouldn’t be separated. Love ones shouldn’t be banned. No one should live in fear. #NoMuslimBanEver #FamiliesBelongTogether
- June 30 is the Families Belong Together national day of action.
- Find an event near you